Can I get financial aid for my military service?

The first step to financial aid is to file the FAFSA. Learn about how to do this here.

Next, you’ll need to apply for grants and scholarships. There are many grants and scholarships that are specially designated for members of the military, and many other scholarships will waive application fees for veterans. More information on military scholarships can be found at the sites below.

US Department of Veterans Affairs
The US Department of Veterans Affairs has information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, links to participating schools and their rates, scholarship information, and applications for educational benefit.

Military Education Benefits Guide breaks down benefits like tuition assistance to education support programs by branch.

DANTES is a dedicated resource for military education programs.

Federal Student Aid Military Site
The federal government has a site dedicated to student aid, which has information on government financial aid for military service and family members of military personnel.

FinAid for Veterans
The FinAid military page has links to resources, including books about scholarships, financial aid for dependents and the HEROES Act.


Planning to borrow money for college?

More education can lead to more promotions.

Your employer may help pay your tuition to advance your career.