How can I help my child succeed in school?
You may think grade school is too early to be planning for college, but it’s actually the perfect time to start. Setting up a good foundation means your kids will be more prepared for the path to college. Visit the individual student pages on our site to find checklists for your child, and learn how to encourage them now so they’ll be prepared for college when they’re older.
Tips to help your child succeed in school:
- Review your child’s homework each day.
- Keep up with your child’s progress reports. Know what grades they are making.
- Find a quiet place for your child to study at home. Work with them to make it a place they enjoy, but keep it free from distractions.
- Encourage your child with approval. Praising the good behaviors is a way to keep them incentivized to succeed.
- Get them involved. Give your child specific tasks to complete, and make sure he/she is participating and contributing in his/her own way.
- Draw connections to real life. Kids want to understand how they can use the knowledge they are learning.
- Talk to them about career and college plans.