A great way to experience a career first-hand.
Job shadowing means you follow a professional for a day and watch what they do. Since job shadowing can be relatively informal, it’s a great first-step to exploring careers. Call your neighbors or family members who work in a field you are interested in, and ask them if you can shadow them for a day. Or, talk to your school counselor for help finding opportunities.
You can make the most of for your job shadowing experience by preparing a list of questions for your host. There will likely be down time during the day or an opportunity to talk more over lunch. If there is not a good opportunity for discussion during the workday, you can send the questions in an email that your host could answer at their convenience. Consider questions like:
- What made you choose this as your career?
- What education/degree(s) did you need for your career?
- What skills are necessary for this type of career?
- What does a typical day look like?
- What kind of schedule do you have to keep?
- What is your favorite part of the job?
- What is your least favorite part of the job?
- How long have you worked for this company?
- Have you worked for other companies in the same field?
- What advice do you have for someone considering this as a career?
- How do you expect this industry to change over the next 5 years/10 years?