Military-to-College Planning

Military-to-College Planning

Succeed in your Career After The Military

You served your time in the military with honor. Now it’s time to find a new career for civilian life that works for you. Your service already shows employers that you’re a dedicated, hardworking team player, and you probably learned new skills while serving that would also be useful in a job search. You have the tools to find a job, and if you want to get a degree, you’ll have the resources to help you.

Find What You Want To Do

You gained valuable experience in the military. The Indiana Department of Workforce Development’s interactive Virtual Career Counselor for Veterans tool lets you see what careers you could fit into right now, and shows what you’ll have to do with education and training if you want to start a new career in a different field.

Get Help Finding a Job

Indiana helps veterans find the jobs they want and prepare them for success at WorkOne Centers. Every center has an onsite veterans’s representative there to help you find a job, work on your resume, prepare for interviews and transition into a civilian job as easily as possible.

If you meet these qualifications, register with your local WorkOne Center and get started finding the job for you:

  • Any individual who served more than 180 days on active duty (not for Reserve or National Guard training).
  • Any individual who served on active duty and was released because of a service connected illness or injury. (Does not have to meet the 180-day rule)
  • Any individual who was in the National Guard or Reserves and was called to active duty during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge is authorized.

Find out more about the services WorkOne offers veterans here.

Take a Test For College Credit

Military members have a chance to take an exam and earn college credits for their experience in the military. Learn more about getting college credit for military service, and see the exams you can take:


The College Level Examination Program tests your understanding of college-level material that you’ve gained in the classroom, through independent study or extracurricular work.

Learn More


DANTES Subject Standardized Tests offer students a cost-effective way to use knowledge acquired outside the classroom (perhaps from reading, on-the-job training, or independent study) to get college credit and accomplish their educational goals.

Learn More


Get college credit for my military service

Your experience in the military can translate into credit for college classes. The American Council on Education (ACE) collaborates with the Department of Defense to recommend what military training should count as college credit. The Joint Services Transcript (JST) is used by the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard. Find out more about the JST here. Air Force personnel should contact Community College of the Air Force to request transcripts for colleges.

Use the table below to determine what degree programs you are eligible for based on your military experience.

Looking for

Help to pay for your education?

Financial aid is available for veterans and active military members. Learn about scholarships and grants.

Learn More
Translate »