High school is right around the corner! As a middle schooler, college might seem a long way off, but there are still things you can do to prepare for this important time in your life right now. You can enroll as a 21st Century Scholar from the time you enter 7th grade to June 30th of your 8th grade year, and if you keep your grades up and meet a few eligibility requirements, you’ll get money to pay for college!
After you enroll, be sure to create a student ScholarTrack account. Your ScholarTrack account is how you’ll complete your required Scholar Success Program activities each year in high school and in college.
And, find tips to help you stay on track for success on Learn More Indiana’s page for middle school students.
To become a 21st Century Scholar, first you have to apply! To apply for the 21st Century Scholars Program, students must meet the following requirements. Once you’re ready to apply, visit our Enroll page with your parent or guardian for more information.
- Be a resident of Indiana, both when applying and when recieving the scholarship (determined by the residency of the parent or legal guardian).
- Be one of the following:
- U.S. citizen or U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
- U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
- A non-citizen with one of the following designations:
- Asylum Granted
- Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
- Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
- Be enrolled in the 7th or 8th grade at an Indiana public or private school accredited by the Indiana Department of Education.
- Children in foster care may apply after the 8th grade.
- Homeschooled students are not eligible for the 21st Century Scholars program.
- Be a member of a family that meets the income eligibility guidelines. See chart below for current income guidelines.
- A student in foster care does not need to meet this requirement.
|Household Size||Maximum Annual Income|
|Household Size:2||Maximum Annual Income:$31,284|
|Household Size:3||Maximum Annual Income:$39,461|
|Household Size:4||Maximum Annual Income:$47,638|
|Household Size:5||Maximum Annual Income:$55,815|
|Household Size:6||Maximum Annual Income:$63,992|
|Household Size:7 or more||Maximum Annual Income:For each additional person, add $8,177|